Wednesday, June 27, 2012

No Diaper Sprayer?

Upon purchasing my first cloth diapers, I included a diaper sprayer in my order. To be honest, it was a fear based decision: I was diapering a toddler, who eats real food, and has real poops. EW!!

When the diapers came, I loved them! The sprayer, on the other hand, left much to be desired. Maybe my technique was off or maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but I used it a total of 3 times to clean my diapers. The thing seemed to spray poop and water all.over.my.bathroom. So, I concocted plan B.




As you can see, I have a double sided mud sink. (It's huge!!) In lieu of a diaper sprayer, I place a bucket on one side of the sink and rinse poo off of the soiled dipes into the bucket.When all the diapers are rinsed, I simply dump the bucket into the toilet. This method seriously reduces eliminates the poopy water being splashed all over every corner of my bathroom.  It also was no cost to me: I already had a sink and bucket.


When the diaper is reasonably clean, I switch the water to the other side of the sink and presoak the diapers in cold water overnight. I usually add vinegar to the soak.

Then, every other day I wash diapers. I do a short, light cold cycle with detergent and a long hot cycle with vinegar only and an extra rinse. We have very hard water here and this combo is working quite well for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment